Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Catio

As I've already mentioned, I have an outdoor cat enclosure for my girls.  In the cat world, this is also known as a catio (cat patio). I thought I should probably elaborate a bit more on this since people always ask me a lot of questions about it when they see mine.

I purchased my enclosure from the wonderful folks at Habitat Haven (www.habitathaven.com).  I very carefully measured the area I wanted it to go and designed a layout that would work using the individual pieces they sell.  There is a run that starts at the bedroom window where the cat door is located and it goes up and over to my fence.  I had to purchase the two-step piece in order to raise the run so that the run going along the fence was at the top of it.  I also have to go under the run to get to a small shed I have next to the house and I didn't want to have to crawl under it each time.  Here is a picture of my two on the stairs.  This was Allie's first time in the enclosure so the look on Emmy's face is "What is she doing on my catio?".  They weren't the best of friends just yet, but getting there.
Catio stairs with Emmy and Allie
At the fence, the run makes a 90 degree turn and goes 16 feet down to the large enclosure.  The enclosure itself is 4' wide, 6' long and 6' tall.  I purchased my own 12" wide cedar boards to make the shelves in the enclosure. I just felt the 8" wide were a bit small, even for dainty abyssinians.  I wanted them to be able to have plenty of space to sleep on them as well.  I also purchased the hammock which they love to sleep in as well.
The girls enjoying a snooze and cuddle in the hammock
Emmy in the run
Pic of the enclosure
You might also notice that I've added a cover over the enclosure and by the cat door.  I just purchased some plastic material at my local craft store (used for covering outdoor furniture), added grommets around the edges and zip-tied it on.  This has been great at giving them a little protection from the elements.  I wanted to use something clear so that they could still see through the top and this worked out perfect.

Although this type of system is not cheap, it is by far the best investment I have ever made for my cats.  I cannot recommend an outdoor enclosure like this enough.  It keeps them safe from predators, but still satisfies their need to be outdoors.  I'd love to eventually add on more and also include a section where they can actually lay in the grass.  Some day!

1 comment:

  1. This is incredible! Well done. I can't let Jake see this because he'd be so jealous!

    ReplyDelete